Are you a housing association or council tenant and experience any of the following:

Our Expert Housing Disrepair No win No fee Solicitors can help you! Call us today on 0161 490 8960

We are rated Excellent 4.7 out of 5

Talk to our Solicitors on
0161 490 8960
Complete our Free Case Assessment

Solicitors in Manchester - Stuart Matthews
Stuart / Your Housing Disrepair Solicitor

Hi! Are you experiencing health issues because of damp and mould as a housing association or council tenant?

Check now if you’re eligible for compensation

Am I eligible?

Check if you’re eligible now or request a call back later

Housing Disrepair SolicitorsNo win No fee

Suffering from damp, mould, or fungus in your own home?
Our Housing Disrepair Solicitors in Manchester are here to help you.

What is Housing Disrepair?

Housing disrepair is a general term to cover any issues with broken, defective or unusable parts of your house. This can include (but is not limited to) a front door that doesn’t lock or a broken handrail on the stairs.

The term housing disrepair doesn’t cover just broken parts of a house or its contents. It also covers issues like damp and mould, leaks and water damage and any other issues with the property caused by lack of maintenance by your landlord.

– I live in Council Housing. Can I make a claim for housing disrepair?

Yes, you can.

Your local authority or local council is responsible for ensuring your property is safe and habitable just like a private landlord would. They have a duty of care towards you and the property, and can be held accountable for any disrepair claims.

– Can I make a claim if I’m renting from a private landlord?

Unfortunately, we can only help you if you are a housing association or a council tenant.

If you experience issues with your private property, the best course of action to take is to contact your landlord directly, in writing, and if they don’t take action, contact your local council and ask them for help.

Your rights as a council or housing association tenant

Under the Housing Act and as a tenant, you have the right to live in a home which is free from damp, mould, and disrepair.

If you have reported poor living conditions to your landlord and they have done nothing about them, you can claim compensation.

What can you claim for under housing disrepair?

You can make a claim for compensation if disrepair problems in your home caused any of the following:

  1. made you or someone in your household ill,
  2. damaged your belongings,
  3. caused you inconvenience,
  4. caused you harm or injury.

You can also claim compensation if you haven’t been able to use your home in the normal way because of repair problems.

Can I claim compensation for Damp, Mould or Fungus in my property?

As a Council or Housing Association tenant, you are entitled to compensation through a housing disrepair claim for damp, mould and/or fungus in your home.

Your council or housing association landlord’s duty is to keep your property free of damp, mould, and fungus which is dangerous to your health. These issues arise from a leak or water vapour in your home and can have long lasting damage to your health, property and belongings. It is therefore your landlord’s responsibility to keep the property in a good state of repair.

Don’t let you or your family suffer in silence. Speak to our Housing Disrepair Solicitors working on a No win No Fee basis to check if you’re eligible to make a claim.

What injuries can damp, mould, fungus and housing disrepair cause?

Common injuries caused by housing disrepair, including damp, mould and fungus, are:

  • Developing or aggravating respiratory diseases caused by mould or damp
  • Physical injuries caused by the disrepair (i.e. an injury caused by a falling tile, door or even the ceiling)
  • Asbestos-related illnesses (common in older houses)
  • Injuries caused by faulty electrics
  • Developing rashes, skin conditions due to the damp, mould or infestation. And increased outbreaks of Eczema or Psoriasis.

Long-term damp conditions are known to cause respiratory illness and some injuries can develop into serious long term or permanent injuries.

*Read more about disrepair caused my damp, mould and fungus.

a cracked ceiling
damp in a dirty room

Housing Disrepair Solicitors
No win No fee

We can help you – get in touch today for a FREE consultation

Get a Free Case Assessment

Let down by your council or housing association landlord? Our Housing Disrepair Solicitors (No win No fee) can help

If you have been let down as a council or housing association tenant, our No win No fee solicitors can help you.

As we work on a No win No fee basis, you can claim compensation without worrying about upfront legal fees.

Housing Disrepair Solicitors – No Win No Fee

No win No fee is designed to provide you access to the courts and claim compensation, regardless of how much money you have as there are no upfront legal fees.

If your damp and mould housing disrepair compensation claim is unsuccessful, under our No win Fo fee agreement, you won’t have to pay us any money.

Because you don’t have to pay anything, in the event your claim is unsuccessful, our No win No fee arrangements takes the risk out of making your compensation.

You don’t have to pay anything upfront and there are no hidden charges, so you will never be left out of pocket.

Learn more about what No win No fee is here.

Your Council or Housing Association Landlord’s responsibilities

Your Landlord is required to keep in repair and proper working order all the installations of your council or housing association house. This includes:

  • the supply of water, gas, electricity,
  • and also sanitation including basins, sinks, baths etc.

Moreover, your Landlord should keep in good repair and working order the heating. Failure to do so once reported entitle you to make a housing disrepair claim against them.

Our specialist Housing Disrepair Solicitors ‘No Win No Fee’ are here to help you use your tenant’s rights to regain any financial loss and ensure your landlord is held accountable for their actions.

Landlord refusing to make repairs

If your landlord is refusing to make repairs to your property, if necessary, we can issue proceedings and get a court order for specific performance of repairs. As housing disrepair solicitors we will fight for tenant’s rights and claim compensation from poor Landlords.

Repairs will be paid for by your landlord, If you have already paid for the repairs as a tenant we can claim this back form your landlord.

Can I withhold rent payments until repairs are made?

As part of your tenancy agreement you must continue to pay rent.

Unfortunately, housing association and council tenants do not have the right to withhold rent even if your landlord does not carry out the repairs.

Your landlord can choose to evict you if you withhold rent which may affect your rights as a tenant.

I’m no longer a tenant? Can I sue a past landlord?

You can start court action to claim compensation for housing disrepair during your tenancy or up to 6 years after it ends. However, if you have already left the property, obtaining proof of disrepair may be difficult.

If you start your claim during your tenancy, you can also ask the court to order your landlord to do repair works. You must have reported the faults/ issues to your landlord in order to take court action for compensation. For this reason you may be best to start a compensation only claim during your tenancy.

Speak to our Housing Disrepair Solicitors ‘No win No fee’ today to find out how we can help.

Are you eligible for housing disrepair compensation?

Our Housing Disrepair Claims Solicitors are able to support council or housing association tenants who have suffered as a result of disrepair. Have you reported damage which hasn’t been repaired after a month? Check if you’re eligible for housing disrepair compensation today.

Check if you're eligible

Our Housing Disrepair Claims are funded by a No Win, No Fee agreement. This means there is no financial risk to you.

What is classed as housing disrepair?

You can pursue a housing disrepair claim for a number of reasons (including and not limited to) whether you’ve injured yourself because of broken tiles, have developed breathing issues because of mould, or have been put at serious risk because of a boiler fault.

If you have experienced landlord problems and are living in or have lived in a property owned by a housing association or council that was in disrepair, you may be able to make a claim against your landlord.

Can I claim compensation for damp?

If the damp or mould is caused by lack of property maintenance and it states in your tenancy agreement that the landlord is responsible for the maintenance of your property then you could be entitled to make a claim.

However, if the damp is contributed by something that you have affected, such as failure to use extractor fans, then the case may be more difficult.

If you have damp in your rented house because ventilation is bad due to broken windows or the heating is faulty, or the extractor fans are broken and your landlord hasn’t fixed those issues, then you will be in a strong place to get compensation from your landlord for mould.

Contact our team of expert Housing Disrepair No win No fee Solicitors to discuss your individual claim.

The main areas you can claim for are:

  • Disturbance or inconvenience
  • Loss of home
  • Compensation for damaged property and belongings
  • Personal injury compensation
  • A rent refund from the landlord
  • Refund for repair work

Can I claim compensation from my landlord for damaged belongings?

You can claim compensation for items of yours that were damaged or destroyed because of your landlord’s failure to carry out repairs.

For example, you can claim for clothing and bedding ruined by mould or furniture damaged by water leaks.

You can also claim compensation for your belongings that were damaged or broken by repair work as well as claiming the cost of replacing items that were damaged or destroyed.

Making a claim for damage to health

You can claim compensation if you or anyone in your household was injured or made ill (or more ill) as a result of the landlord’s failure to carry out repairs.

The health problems can be physical or mental.

How much can I claim for damage to my health?

The amount of damages you can claim for damage to your health depends on how ill you were and how long the illness lasted.

If you were unable to work you could claim for loss of earnings and for any extra care you needed.

Compensation for inconvenience

You can claim compensation if you have suffered inconvenience or have not been able to use your home in the normal way as a result of:

  1. the landlord’s failure to repair your home,
  2. significant disruption during the repair work.

Again, how much compensation you can get depends on the level of disrepair, the rent you pay and the repair problem’s effect on you and your family.

How much compensation can I generally claim for housing disrepair?

It is really difficult to give an exact amount without knowing the details of your situation.

There are a number of different ways to pursue disrepair compensation and we will work with you to tailor your case to suit your specific circumstances and get you maximum compensation.

Can I claim a reduction or refund of rent?

You can claim a reduction or refund of rent if you have not been able to use part or all of your home because of the disrepair.

The amount you can ask for depends on how much of your home can’t be lived in. If you can only use half of your home, the court may decide that your rent should be reduced or refunded by 50%

Are you eligible for housing disrepair compensation?

Our Housing Disrepair Claims Solicitors are able to support council or housing association tenants who have suffered as a result of disrepair. Have you reported damage which hasn’t been repaired after a month? Check if you’re eligible for housing disrepair compensation today.

Check if you're eligible

Our Housing Disrepair Claims are funded by a No Win, No Fee agreement. This means there is no financial risk to you.

Housing Disrepair – Related Articles

Compensation from Landlord | Damaged Property & Breaches

Seeking compensation from Landlord If you live in a rented council or housing association property [...]

Is your Rented Property Affected by Damp?

Can I claim against my Landlord for damp in my property? If your rented property [...]

Not found an answer to your question?

Why should I choose Treadstone Law Solicitors to help me with my housing disrepair claim?

Our civil litigation department has over 20 years’ experience and a high success rate in making claims for clients like you against people who have wronged you (subject to approval we can act for you on a NO WIN NO FEE* basis).

Your claim for housing disrepair could get you the compensation you may be eligible for.

As part of our process, we will need to see your supporting evidence straight away and asses the state of disrepair.

We are rated Excellent

4.6 out of 5

Client Testimonials

Over 10 years of winning our cases!

"I have used Treadstone law for myself and my family over the last 10 years , they are a very good company and always win our cases!"

Mr B Bojang / Manchester

Highly recommended

"Very satisfied with the outcome of my claim. Everything was explained to me in an easy to understand way. My solicitor was very friendly and approachable. Highly recommended."

Paul / Manchester

Professional, efficient and effective.

"I have dealt with Treadstone Law on several occasions and have always found them to be professional, efficient and effective. I would highly recommend them."

Mr N Cahill / London

Utmost skill and professionalism.

"When the dentist ruined my teeth Treadstone Law handled my claim for dental negligence with utmost skill and professionalism. I was able to recover damages sufficient to rectify the carnage inflicted on me by the dentist."

Dominic Walker

Invaluable in getting me the result

"Recently had Stuart represent me during a difficult period. He was excellent at communicating with me throughout, and clearly has a lot of knowledge. Stuart put it in a way I could understand which made my ability to be properly involved so much easier. His advice was invaluable in getting me the result, but his personable manner was the reason I chose him to represent me. I have already passed him on to several friends and a family member, with all positive feedback."

Ben Nolan

Couldn't me more pleased with the result

"I was a bit worried at first having never made a claim, but Stuart really knows what he's doing and looked after my case from start to finish. Couldn't be more pleased with the result and the way it was handled."

Mr B. Worsley

Goes above and beyond!

"I have dealt with Treadstone law twice. On both occasions I received much more than I was expecting financially. The service levels recieved at Treastone law and more specifically Stuart was exceptional.. Stuart goes above and beyond! He was in touch at every point throughout the process and I would highly recommend him!"

MR C Bowman

"Treadstone delivered timely and accurate legal advice which helped me enormously and directly lead me to winning my case."

Mr B / Manchester

"Treadstone Law were recommend to me, they took the case on very quickly spoke to all witnesses within 48 hours and even met me at the scene of the accident so that I could walk them through what happened."

Miss S / Oldham

"Fantastic customer service, speedy resolution to my case, Stuart and Shu were friendly and knowledgeable."

Mrs H / Bury

"My wife was recently involved in a quite serious car crash, thankfully she wasn’t seriously injured but the car was totally destroyed, Stuart and his team handled everything from day one, from getting the pay-out for the car to dealing with the injury claim in an extremely professional and compassionate manner, he kept in contact with us at every step of the process and managed to sort everything out in under 12 weeks. I would recommend Treadstone Law to anyone that has had an accident, excellent service and total professionals."

Mr Howard / Manchester

"My solicitors have worked really hard to win my case. I am really pleased with the services provided. I would definitely recommend Treadstone to friends and family in the future. Thanks again."

Mrs M / Cheshire

“I was inundated by phone calls from dodgy companies telling me to put a claim in, but a colleague recommended Treadstone Law. I gave them a call and was astonished that, nine months later, I got a cheque for £4,700. Brilliant result!”

Mr S / Wythenshawe

“My son was injured at a holiday club. Treadstone Law came out to see me the same day I contacted them, and the solicitor who showed a real interest in the case. He explained it all well and was really nice to my son who was a bit frightened as he thought he was in trouble . We went to the scene of the accident and he did a full report taking loads of photos . This was really important as the play scheme moved all the incriminating evidence the next day.”

Miss C / Cheshire

“I had a simple road traffic accident and I was astonished when my solicitor called me and said she has settled my case for £13,000. I was very happy with the customer service that I received from Treadstone Law. They were always happy to help me with any questions I had and made me feel so welcome when I visited their offices. I will recommend my friends and family to use them if they require legal services.”

Mrs O / Manchester

“I was treated as a real human being by Treadstone Law. I was asked how I was, and the Solicitor did more than I had come in for, as I asked his advice about several other things. He answered all my questions and advised me what I should do, or what he would do if it were him. He made up for a lack of sensitivity shown by another solicitor’s firm, who treated me like a cash cow, were mercenary and lacked empathy. Unfortunately, I still have to deal with these solicitors, but not for long hopefully. Thank you again, and I will recommend you. Treadstone Law have restored my faith in solicitors!”

Mrs D / Manchester

“I was very impressed with the service I received, from the start of my claim to completion.”

Mr S / Bolton