Is your Rented Property Affected by Damp?

damp in rented property | mould in a rented house

Can I claim against my Landlord for damp in my property?

If your rented property is in a state of disrepair and this disrepair has caused damp and you have suffered as a consequence then it is perfectly possible to pursue your Landlord to carry out repairs so that you can properly enjoy your property.

Request a free, no-obligation consultation with our solicitors to find out more. Alternatively, follow this link to read more about housing disrepair claims.

Mould in my rental home. Can I make a claim for housing disrepair?

If you are renting you property then it is possible to make a claim under Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act.

Read more about this here.

Are damp and black mould the landlord’s responsibility?

It is your landlord’s responsibility to keep the structure and the exterior of your house in good repair. This includes drains, gutters, and external pipes.

So, if the gutters or drains are leaking or overflowing and causing damp in your rented property, such as penetrating damp or black mould, making the house horrible to live in then, yes, you can pursue your Landlord for a claim for disrepair.

Further Obligations of the Landlord

The Landlord has to keep in repair, and proper working order, all the installations of the house. This includes the supply of water, gas, electricity, and also sanitation including basins, sinks, baths etc.

Furthermore, the Landlord should keep in good repair and working order the heating and water supply.

If you have suffered as a consequence of living in a house which should have been properly repaired and maintained by your Landlord then have a right to make a claim.

Solicitor to help with Housing Disrepair

Our team of experienced housing disrepair solicitors can help you make a claim against your landlord.

In addition to forcing the Landlord to repair the property, you can also claim damages against the Landlord for forcing you to live in unsatisfactory conditions and putting your health at risk.

If there is a flood, fire, or an accident in the home, the Landlord, once again, has a legal obligation to repair the home to put it back into a reasonable standard for you to enjoy.

If, as a consequence of the poor housing conditions you, or your family, have developed asthma, or bronchial or chest conditions, again it is possible to claim against your Landlord and force them to repair the property as part of the claim.

As a tenant, you have a legal right to force your Landlord to do the repairs that your house needs and also to pay you compensation.

As all our cases are taken on a No Win No Fee basis, there is no risk to yourself.

Please do not hesitate to contact our Housing Disrepair Team. Call 0161 490 8960 or use the contact form on this page.