Death of a British couple in Egypt caused by E. Coli virus
Egyptian authorities declare that E. coli caused the death of a British couple who died after falling ill at a holiday resort in Egypt.
John and Susan Cooper, from Burnley, Lancashire, died in Hurghada on 21 August 2018.
Their bodies were released by the Egyptian authorities on Friday (September, 2018).
In an official statement, the Egyptian general prosecutor said post-mortem examinations showed E. coli bacteria was the cause of the death.
Last week, hygiene tests at the Steigenberger Aqua Magic hotel, where the couple had been staying, found high levels of E. coli.
Thomas Cook had said its experts did not think E. coli killed the Coopers and they have stopped selling any more rooms at that hotel.
Just 4 weeks prior to the deaths of John and Susan Cooper, Thomas Cook had been ordered to pay £26,000 in compensation and costs to a family struck down with a gastric illness at the same hotel.
News of the payout is likely to increase scrutiny of Thomas Cook’s oversight of conditions at the resort.
Thomas Cook moved more than 300 customers out of the hotel after the Coopers’ deaths, but said in a statement that it had audited the hotel in late July and it had received an overall score of 96%.
What should you do if you fall ill on holiday?
Be vigilant at meal times and don’t eat food that appears to be under-cooked. If food had been left uncovered and out in the sun for prolonged periods, it’s best to also avoid it.
If you do fall ill on holiday, you should report it to the hotel staff and holiday rep as soon as possible. Seek medical attention and keep any records of your illness.
If you suffer from any of the following, it’s imperative that you seek medical help and receive a proper diagnosis and treatment:
If you can, obtain photographic evidence as it may help you with your claim.
Had holiday in Egypt ruined by illness?
If you had your holiday ruined by illness, then you could be entitled to claim compensation.
Get in touch with our No Win No Fee Solicitors for a free, no obligation consultation.